Four Inspiring Ideas for a Delicious Summer Brunch
A Mother’s Day brunch is a marvelous thing. A brunch for any other reason – alone, with a partner, or with the whole family – is equally appealing, n’est-ce pas? Treat yourself all summer long with these fresh and colourful takes on brunch.
1) Mix sweet and salty
It’s the secret to the best brunches. To your traditional (and delicious) scrambled eggs and bacon dishes, add a couple of crepes garnished with berries
. Drizzle it all with maple syrup and you’re done.
In the summer, the barbecue will always be your best ally…even in the morning. Bake a zucchini and feta tart
on low and seize the opportunity to grill a few skewers of sweet and savoury Quebec strawberries
. This Trois fois par jour recipe combines the sweetness of a local berry with the creamy texture of bocconcini and the delicate saltiness of Serrano ham. It’s a big hit every time.
2) Enjoy brunch one-on-one
Surprise your partner with roasted strawberries served with whipped cheese and pistachio shortbread
. The creaminess of the cheese mixed with the crunchiness of the cookie pieces will satisfy any palate. To get a head start, prepare the roasted strawberries and the shortbread the day before. The morning of, just add a basket of pastries
and two delicately foamed coffees
to the table.
To wow a whole crowd, try Geneviève Everell’s recipe for eggs mimosa with nordic shrimp and salmon
. It’s something you can easily make with her Sushi à la Maison products.
3) Organize a morning picnic
Take advantage of the morning outside with easily adapted recipes, like ones you can prepare in a mason jar. A chocolatey yogurt verrine recipe
, for example, is perfect for a picnic in the park. Once you’re there, garnish your yogurt with homemade or store-bought granola and berries.
For a more elaborate menu, opt for little roasted red pepper quiches
. These salty little tarts, cooked in a muffin tin, can be prepared in advance. To save time, use store-bought pastry dough for a result that’s just as delicious.
4) Fill up on vitality after you exercise
Recover from your morning jog or home yoga session with a healthy and satisfying brunch. On the menu: organic whole grain bread, eggs, Greek yogurt, fruit and vegetables. Break from your routine with a smoothie bowl, breakfast toast (try the one with goat cheese and honeydew
) or trade traditional smoked salmon and your classic bagel for maple or honey smoked salmon.
Our Tips for a Hassle-Free Brunch
- Prepare your pancake or waffle batter the night before and keep it in the fridge. You can even make your waffles a couple of days in advance and store them in the freezer. The morning of, reheat them in the toaster. Well-wrapped pancakes will keep in the refrigerator for up to three days. Take them out an hour before serving.
- Make sure you have some pastries in the freezer. For a brunch on the fly, croissants and other frozen pastries can save the day. All you need to round out the spread is a cheese plate, fruit and jam.
- Jam in a flash: You only need 20 minutes and just 3 ingredients to make delicious jam. Use the berries of your choice, add some sugar and a little lemon juice and you’ll have homemade jam for brunch! That’s our basic jam recipe.
- For a successful brunch, get inspired by Quebec’s beautiful bounty: a tray of local cheeses with an assortment of bread from the Charlevoix bakery À Chacun Son Pain, a seasonal fruit salad, and a charcuterie board with items from our local artisans.